Sitting In A Silent Night

With my boys and hubby in their beds sleeping, while I prepare food for Christmas, it's abnormally quiet. I usually don't like the silence, most of the time I have the tv on or music playing. But tonight as I sit here on this quiet Christmas Eve, I can't help but to think of my mom and how much she loved Christmas.
Every time I pass our main road in this small town I think of her. The trees that line the street are lit up for Christmas with white vertical lights that look as if the stars are falling. Each time I pass I smile and then cry because she doesn't get to see them, but oh how she would love them.
I giggle each year when I get out my Christmas tree, not because of the tree itself but because of the memory attached to it. My husband bought our tree 6 years ago. It was our first "big" tree. I was pregnant with our youngest and my parents had arrived with the expectation that he would arrive soon (spoiler: he didn't). We put the tree up, and I was excited because it said it was six feet tall, mom and I looked at it wondering when the six feet part would arrive. Mom and I are 5'4" & 5'6" respectively, so we knew that we should not be able to be eye level with the top of the tree. And to our enormous enjoyment I reached up and stood a six inch single branch straight up into the air. Wah La! Six feet! Mom and I got to laughing so hard we were doubled over. Thankfully my dad caught pictures of us in our laughter. And even though right now that memory brings tears because she's not here, I have so much joy to have it. I am so thankful for my husband who was the vessel that brought this forth.

As I cry for my loss, I am reminded that because of Christ I'll get to see her again. Had God not loved me enough to send His son to earth I would be truly crushed that my mom is gone. But, despite the tears, I have joy. I have peace. I have excitement because I know, without any doubt that I will laugh with her, hug her, and see her sweet face again!
And all I had to do was accept that Jesus is who He says He is (God's son), ask him to forgive me of my sins, and then He wiped my slate clean and welcomed me to His eternal family.

What a day that will be! ❤️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I won yesterday.

Depression + Guilt

First Blog!