Racism sucks and it's still very much around

I really hate racism. It's not something that is only aimed at non-white people. I am very much a white person and I have experienced racial tension and dislike for being me, being with and married to a black man, and for having children with this man.

When my husband and I were first together we were visiting his mom and one of the older black men there did not appreciate that there was a white woman in his area. He started to yell at me and cuss at me and call me a "cracker" and all that goes with that. Luckily, I had a very outspoken and loving mother-in-law and she put that old man in his place.

When I started working, when we first moved to Florida, people loved me and they loved to work with me, but when they found out that I was in a relationship with a black man their demeanor and attitudes to me changed. And I heard that they were saying how I could do better and I shouldn't be with someone like that. When I would go out with just my son often I would get dirty looks from black women just for having a darker skinned son. And it drives me crazy. Love has no color love is just love and respect.

Multiple times my husband has been the aim of racial jokes and comments and the dreaded n-word. He generally doesn't care and doesn't let it bother him. I tend to get more irritated and angry about it than he does because I am very protective.

Recently, we moved to an area where it is predominantly black and I expected things to not be as bad. I expected to be able to feel relaxed and loved. And most of the people are wonderful and are so friendly and loving, however there are always people who are going to hate and be hateful. One of the first times my husband and I and our boys went to Walmart some teenagers saw us and said "black and white don't mix". It bothered me, but you know I just let it go. And when I told my husband we joked about it and said "well we think we mix quite well" (wink wink lol) and just laughed it off.
Another time we went to do laundry and went to the gas station next door and I got some nasty looks and my husband laughed and said "they're all wondering what this white girl is doing in here".

The most recent one, the one that has got me writing this blog, is from a white woman here. She has invited me to her church, she has been overly friendly, and has really been helpful to my parents before I got here. I went out to let her know that my mom was put on hospice because I hadn't seen her for awhile. She went on to tell me about how she had this horrible experience at Burger King and how the workers were just standing around talking and all this other stuff. She got so mad about her experience that she started calling the workers "monkeys". I was honestly flabbergasted that she would even say that. She had met my husband. She has interacted with my children. And has claimed to be a Christian.

Now, if you are a Christian you can't call anybody anything other than something kind. God created every single one of us. He created us and He loves every single one of us exactly the same as all the other ones. There is nothing anywhere in the Bible that says that we are not equal. It does not say anything about not interacting with others who are different from us, it tells us to go everywhere to share God's love to share God's Word, not to block them out and say and be nasty to them. It makes me so angry! And you cannot tell me it is the unequal yoke part of the Bible because if you bother to read it it is about a Christian being in a relationship with a non-Christian. And if you are really racist you shouldn't be a Christian at all because Jesus himself was a dark-skinned man! (If you don't believe that, you need to work on your geography.)

We are all made to love and support each other; without stipulations or rules.

Stop the racism, stop the hate!

That is all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I won yesterday.

Depression + Guilt

First Blog!