Taming My Tongue.... not easy ha!

I tend to be a fairly blunt person. It's not out of meanness (most of the time lol) and it's not to be rude, it's just how I am. I don't like when people beat around the bush. I would rather have straight answers. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Now, something that contradicts that is that I'm an extremely emotional person too. So that means that sometimes I say things I don't mean and I say hurtful things that should not be said.

James 3:1-12 is titled: "Taming the Tongue" coincidence?? I think not. lol
In verse 8 it says that our tongues are restless evil, full of deadly poison... because our words carry so much weight to them! Talk about pressure!
Verses 9-12 says that we can't be both praising the Lord and cursing our fellow men who were made in God's image. We can't be both loving and mean at the same time. We can't say that we are great Christians but turn around and spit hatefulness to those around us.
Proverbs 18:21 says that our tongues have the power of life and death!! That's some serious power! Did you know that sometimes the only thing that saves someone from the brink of suicide is a kind word from a stranger?? THAT'S how powerful our words can be. But they can also do the reverse. Our words can cause someone to be pushed over the edge to chose to end their lives. Please please choose your words (and tone) carefully. Another verse for you- Proverbs 12:25 "An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up." Isn't that SO true!? So many days I will be feeling down or stressed and just a kind word from someone helps change my perspective.

My hard part is being more kind with my immediate family. Like I said... I'm blunt and I'm even more blunt with my family. But I'm a work in progress. :) I truly don't try to be mean, but often times it comes out that way.
I think I need to print this verse out and frame it: James 1:19 "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires."
I never want to cause my family to not want a God blessed life. I always want them to desire to do God's will and I'm falling short of that because of my anger and my tongue.
That being said- I am a LOT better than I used to be, but I'm not where I would like to be (yet).

Proverbs 21:23 says that if we are guards of our tongues it keeps us from calamity. The definition of calamity is: an event causing great and often sudden damage or distress; a disaster. Have you ever had one of those times when someone says something to you and it's like a slap in the face? Or you're having a great day until a certain person says something and it ruins your day? That's how powerful our words are! I don't ever want to cause someone else a calamity because I couldn't keep my comments and words (and attitude) to myself.

At church this past Sunday the sermon was titled "My Big Mouth" and it was all about how our words affect us and others. And Pastor Craig gave us practical steps to help with this.
1. Read James and Proverbs.

2. THINK First
T-Is it True
H- Is it Helpful
I- Is it Inspiring
N- Is it Necessary
K- Is it Kind

3. Talk LESS - that's a hard one for me lol especially with my kids. I seem to need to overly explain and lecture.

4. Build others up. --- In Matthew 18 it tells us that if you have an issue with someone go to that specific person and talk to them. Don't talk to others about them or the issue, go directly to the person that it is related to. By talking to others about them you're tearing them down instead of building them up.

5. Have Heart Surgery -- No, not literal heart surgery lol. Our mouths voice what is in our hearts. So if we are constantly saying mean things or being hateful to others, the issue isn't just about not saying it, it's about changing our hearts so those thoughts and words don't even come up.
I have an image of our words being the vomit from our hearts. If our hearts are ugly then our words will be ugly too. Sorry that was kind of a gross image. haha

Bottom line: Talk less, listen more, change you heart and your words will follow.

It's not an easy thing to do, but it's the right thing for us to do in order to live in the will of God.

Remember: you are loved and you are important!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I won yesterday.

Depression + Guilt

First Blog!