A Medicated Christian

This may be a long one, but that's ok. It's a very important one.
If you would rather watch the video I did on this subject here is the link. 
https://youtu.be/Lr9CLnbYnR4

I've written about this subject a couple of times in my blog, but it is so real and so true, that I'm doing it again.

There are multiple verses in the Bible that tell us to rely on God for all things and to find our joy in Him. And if I'm honest reading those often caused me guilt. I have the desire to find all my joy and happiness in the Lord, but it just doesn't happen like that for me. I have to learn to be ok with that. God still loves me and He still wants me to have joy and happiness.

Depression, and mental health in general, are often taboo subjects in church. I grew up in the church and grew up with a medicated mother (for depression) and it was still not discussed. Why are so many people ashamed? Why do Christians put such a high wall around certain subjects? We don't hide and refuse to talk about diabetes or other physical diseases so why do we about mental disorders and diseases? By choosing to not discuss these we are alienating those that are suffering! Mental disorders already cause those dealing with it to feel alone and we shouldn't be making it worse. 

In an article I read it said (about depression/anxiety): "It’s not a character defect, a spiritual disorder or an emotional dysfunction. And chief of all, it’s not a choice. Asking someone to “try” not being depressed is tantamount to asking someone who’s been shot to try and stop bleeding. Such an attitude can dangerously appear in the Church as, 'if only you had enough faith'... to deny medical or psychiatric treatment to someone suffering from mental illness is really no different than denying them to someone with a physical illness. The difference between the two is that the former is invisible....Depressed people become really good at hiding their symptoms, even from doctors, because of the stigma attached to the illness. Churches often don’t address mental illness, which gives the worship team guitarist or the elder even more incentive to keep it hidden away. Furthermore, the symptoms of depression often tend to contradict each other, which makes it really difficult for a person suffering from depression to recognize it for what it is—let alone for the Church to recognize it."  
https://relevantmagazine.com/article/5-things-christians-should-know-about-depression-and-anxiety/

In another article I read this and I love it! It's so spot on!
"Depression can also be brought on by chemical imbalances in the body. A person’s DNA can trigger chemical reactions that put him or her into an intensive funk. For women, the bodily changes that accompany menopause can bring on extreme depression. With prayer, “all things are possible,” but escaping from depression that is due to a chemical imbalance in the body through prayer alone is not probable. Those who try to dissuade religious people from getting medical help for clinical depression, claiming that faith alone is the cure, can do devastating harm. In many cases, a severe depression that lasts more than a few days is bio-physically based and requires medical treatment. This is certainly true for any who suffer from a bipolar condition. A psychiatrist is trained to diagnose both medical and mental causes of depression. To seek such treatment does not denote a lack of faith, but rather evidence of a willingness to take advantage of what God has made available to us through modern science."
https://www.beliefnet.com/wellness/health/emotional-health/christians-take-depression-seriously.aspx

Depression can also go through family lines. Many people on my mom's side of the family have suffered from depression. It can be brought on by events that happen in someone's life, but the family genes also play a large roll.
When the church expects us to be heal only through faith it makes us feel guilty for needing help. It shouldn't be that way! We should be encouraging those who need help to get help! If the person doesn't want to go alone, we should offer to go with them. We should be holding them up when they can't hold themselves up. We are called as followers of Christ to help and love others, not to judge and tear them down.

Depression is so strong. It's not something we can just shake off and get over. In this article https://www.christianitytoday.com/iyf/hottopics/selfesteem/understanding-depression.html?start=2 it said, "One reader wrote, "The worst was well-meaning people who told me to 'just get over it' or 'rejoice for this is the day the Lord has made.' This made me feel ashamed of my depression because I felt that I was dishonoring God, but I could not just shake it off. Its grip on my life was strong."
This next quote from the same article I'm going to bold because it's That Important and I want you to really read it. "If you're a Christian, you will dwell in God's house forever, even if you struggle with depression now. Cling to that promise, and don't let go."
Depressed or not, we all receive the same promises from God. He doesn't promise one person something but not someone else. He created us all and his promises are for all of us!

"I had to realize that Christians can get depressed -- and this is OK. Depression does not mean you have a weak relationship with God or that your faith isn't as strong as it should be. This was a revelation for me." 

We have to understand that the love God has for us doesn't changed due to our mental state. With depression it's so hard to have the strength or motivation to do the things we should to keep our relationship with God strong and our faith up. It's so very hard. I have found that listening to Christian music, especially praise and worship, helps with my attitude and my mind set. Reading my Bible and praying help too. They are still difficult some days or moments, but it's been much better since my journey on medication has begun.

We have to do better as a church. We have to be willing to have these discussions. We have to be willing to love others when they feel they are not lovable. We have to do more. We have to!

If you are one of the many many people that are battling a mental illness, or think that you might, get help. Don't wait. Don't put it off. It's SO worth it!.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I won yesterday.

Depression + Guilt

First Blog!