It's not just physical.

Many people are victims of domestic violence. Many do not have physical bruises, scars, or injuries.
Domestic assault/violence is not just physical. It can be emotional and it can be verbal. Psychological scars are so very hard to heal.

Sometimes survivors don't realize that they were being abused until after the fact. Abusers are good at turning things around and making it either seem like it is just you over reacting or over thinking or even that they were just joking around.

I had a boyfriend many years ago that was a "it's just a joke" kind of abuser. I didn't even realize until recently how abusive he really was. He constantly belittled me.. But of course I was was the stupid one for getting hurt by his jokes. One time he even lit the front of my hair on fire, "on accident".
After we had broken up we were still good friends and hung out and even played church league softball together. I had gotten there late and he had been hit in the head with a softball. After the game I asked him where he got it and poked it (just to mess with him) and asked him if it hurt. He then decided to hit me three times in my temple. I was shocked. I left, and he stood there laughing and said "ooo she's mad". When I got back to my dorm I called him. I gave him an earful. I asked him why he thought it was ok to do that? And why when I was injured or hurt it was ok for him to poke and hit the injured spot but I couldn't.
After that we never spoke again. The friendship abruptly ended.

People, and I say people because women are abusers too, do not allow yourselves to get into these relationships. I know it's hard to leave someone you love, but at some point you have to love yourself more.
Will it be hard? Absolutely! But it will be worth it.

Don't live in fear, live in freedom.
Don't live having to always walk on eggshells.
Don't live a life of abuse and show your children that it is normal. That how you are being treated is ok. Because that cycle that they learn is incredibly hard to break! Help them by removing them from it.
Find help. Know that you are loved. And know that God has greater things in store for you!

Like I've said before I do not feel released by God to share every aspect of my life in open forum like this, but what I can share I do.

PSA: none of this is about my husband lol he's a gentle giant and a good man. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I won yesterday.

Depression + Guilt

First Blog!