Depression Bound Christian

I'm a Christ follower.
I'm a Bible reading, Christ Loving Jesus Freak.
(Ever heard that song Jesus Freak by DC Talk?? I love that one lol)

We are taught to be fully reliant on God for our joy and peace.
We're taught to be fully reliant on Him for everything.

Don't get me wrong I am very strong in my Faith and Trust in God.
I have no issues with trusting Him to always help me through all.

And I've begged and prayed for Him to heal my mind and body. (depression affects you physically as well) But He has chosen not to do so yet.
That does not mean he wont.
I firmly believe in using medication when all other avenues have been exhausted.
I'm at the point now that I've decided that when we get insurance again and I get the boys taken care of then I will see the doctor and ask about medication.
And that avenue may be the one He uses to bring me healing. And that is OKAY!

I've felt a lot of guilt over not being able to find my joy fully in the Lord and battling with this anger.
We are all going to get angry but the Bible says not to sin in the the anger. And That's the hard part.

One time I had posted on Facebook about the guilt I felt because of this and a couple of the comments people left made a big impact on me. I always promote that mental illness is real and is a disease, but I couldn't see that in myself.

My original post said "On my mind: dealing with depression being a Christian is hard bc there's a feeling that you shouldn't struggle with it bc you should find your joy in the Lord. Hmm..."
Here's the two messages that meant the most:
"Christians are people too... we are human, but our Lord always has us in his hands. Praying for you and your precious family"
"Used to feel that way myself but now I know it runs in my genes and we are human, susceptible to diseases the same as if it was something like diabetes. Be gentle with yourself, as gentle as you would be with your sons or your best friend. Guilt leaves you with double trouble."

One thing that has helped me with the anger is what music I listen to.
If I start my morning reading my Bible and listening to praise and worship  music it has a big impact on me for the rest of the day. It doesn't always work. Or last all day, but it helps a little bit.

Another thing that helps is exercise. But unfortunately one of the things that depression does to me is take away my motivation and desire. Even though I know it will help I can't get myself to do anything. Doesn't help that we live in Florida where you sweat as soon as you open the door. lol

Again, Depression shows in people in many different ways.
Don't be afraid to talk to someone or see a doctor for help.

Don't give you on yourself.
God has great things in store!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I won yesterday.

Depression + Guilt

First Blog!